| Colorado Department of Human Services
Division of Child Care
1575 Sherman St., 1st Floor
DENVER , CO 80203-1714
|Family Child Care Home: providing care for children unrelated to the caregiver in the caregiver’s home. Regulations vary depending upon the number children cared for. License fee $16 annually.
|Child Care Center: a facility providing care for 5 or more children. Includes Day Care Centers, Residential Children Group Homes, and Summer Camps for children under 16 yr. of age.
|2-year license fee: $50 to $350 depending on the licensed capacity.
| Facilities and their staff are subject to review and investigation by the Department of Human Services. Applicant’s name reviewed with Central Registry of Child Protection (child abuse.)
Fingerprint and Colorado Bureau of Investigation check required for any adult (18 years or older) in childcare home and all staff in all-family care homes and child care centers.
| EXEMPT from child care licensing:
- A special school or class in which more than 50 percent of the time that children are present is spent in religious instruction.
- A child care center operated in connection with a church, shopping center, or business where children are cared for during short periods of time while parents or persons in charge of such children are attending church services, shopping, or patronizing the business. This facility must be operated on the premises of the church, business, or shopping center. Children of the employees of the church, shopping center, or business cannot be enrolled.
- Occasional, infrequent, and irregular care of children with or without compensation.
- A child care facility that is approved, certified, or licensed by any other state department or agency, or by a federal government department or agency, which has standards for operation of the facility and inspects or monitors the facility.
- The medical care of children in nursing homes.